[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #49500: WordPress 5.4 messes up custom fields added to menu items they are duplicated.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Mar 25 17:56:52 UTC 2020

#49500: WordPress 5.4 messes up custom fields added to menu items they are
duplicated.
--------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  BackuPs       |       Owner:  audrasjb
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  closed

Comment (by helgatheviking):

 @BackuPs if you do this:

 >Actually the solution is even simpeler. I will just rename my add_action
 and do_action in which case i dont have to check for the wp_version.

 Then you might ''recreate'' the issue that this hook was meant to solve...
 single Walker and fields from competing Walkers not displaying. I've seen
 plenty of themes using the menu Walker and people contacting me thinking
 my plugin wasn't working since my fields didn't display. having this hook
 as a community hook as greatly reduced that and getting it in to core
 should make it go away entirely.... assuming all theme/plugin devs do a
 version check and stop switching the Walker as of WP 5.4.

 Something like this should do it and it's what I'll be adding to my plugin
 soon.

 {{{
 global $wp_version;
 if( ! version_compare( $wp_version, '5.4-RC4', '>=' ) ) {
         add_filter( 'wp_edit_nav_menu_walker',
 'helga_switch_nav_menu_walker' );
 }

Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/49500#comment:15>