[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43738: Make the personal data Export/Delete functionality available in network-wide for super admins

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Mar 23 19:47:11 UTC 2020

#43738: Make the personal data Export/Delete functionality available in network-
wide for super admins
-----------------------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  TZ Media                     |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement                  |      Status:  new

Comment (by pbiron):

 I'm working on a patch for this.  The first iteration will **ONLY** cover
 the UI/UX of ''managing'' the requests (and not the actually doing the
 exports/erasures).  I've got a couple of questions (about whether certain
 things should/need to be handled, especially in an initial patch):

 1. As of 5.4,
 [https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/wp_create_user_request/
 wp_create_user_request()] checks whether there are incomplete requests for
 a given email address and displays an admin notice if there are (rather
 than creating a new request). Having the ability to initate requests at
 the network level adds additional wringles to that check.
    * if there are incomplete requests for a given email address on one or
 more sub-sites in the network, should an admin notice be displayed when a
 network-level request is initated?
    * conversely, if there is an incomplete request for a given email
 address at the network-level what should happen when a site-level request
 is initated for that email address?
    * should the site-level request(s) be "subsumed" by the network-level
 request?
    * what about multi-networks (hint: the users table is shared across all
 networks, so the answer here is probably the same as for the single
 network case, altho since core doesn't provide a UI for multi-networks, we
 might leave that in plugin territory)

 Ultimately, I think we should let site owners make those decisions (by
 providing appropriate hooks/constants), but we still need to set up
 sensible defaults.

 2. Also, what if a request is inadvertently submitted at the ''wrong''
 level (i.e., at the site-level when it should have been submitted at the
 network-level, and vice versa).  Do we want to support moving a request
 from the site-level to network-level, and vice versa.
    * similarly, in a multi-network setup, do we want to support moving a
 request from one network to another (whether at the network- or site-
 level)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/43738#comment:29>