[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42061: Add new utility function for checking if the current request is a REST API request.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Mar 10 19:59:05 UTC 2020

#42061: Add new utility function for checking if the current request is a REST API
request.
------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  lots.0.logs             |       Owner:  flixos90
     Type:  enhancement             |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by iandunn):

 Replying to [comment:7 flixos90]:
 > REST is controlled by a query variable...
 > It is therefore impossible to detect a REST request before the
 `parse_request` action, at least with the means currently in place...
 > We could find a way to detect a REST request through another way and aim
 for making the process similar to AJAX and Cron so that it can be detected
 really early.

 I think that'd be ideal. One benefit would be that `WP_USE_THEMES` could
 be set to `false` for REST API requests, and `wp_using_themes()` could be
 used to [https://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/332854/detect-
 front-end-pages-only-in-init-hook detect the front end] before
 `template_redirect` executes.

 One way to do that might be something like
 [https://github.com/woocommerce/woocommerce/pull/21090/files#diff-
 7a990aa0f401ec3e7e8a62c6b23d8b3eR230 the solution that Woo experiment
 with]. I haven't looked deeply to see if there are cases where that
 wouldn't work, though.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42061#comment:15>