[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #50467: Search results not displaying all entries in Admin > Posts in certain conditions

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jun 24 20:54:20 UTC 2020

#50467: Search results not displaying all entries in Admin > Posts in certain
conditions
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  Sabinooo        |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)    |     Status:  new
Component:  General         |    Version:  5.4.2
 Severity:  minor           |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  administration  |
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 **''Limitations of my bug report''**

 I observed that bug in a live wordpress site, not even mine, so, my
 apologies, I cannot experiment with it as I would have liked otherwise. No
 deactivating plugins, no switching to another theme.

 Thus: I report the issue, explain it the best I can, but I'm leaving it at
 that.

 Either (a) it's affecting all wordpress installs, I'm glad I could help by
 reporting it, or (b) for some reason, it's only the blog on which I've
 seen it that has it, and then I'm perfectly fine with it, it's just that,
 me, I cannot tell at all on my side.

 **''Context of the bug report''**

 A wordpress blog, latest stable, on which the admins are preparing a
 number of posts that will be posted while they're away on holidays, with a
 schedule of 2 posts a day.
 Those blog posts are written in advance, their title starts with "READY TO
 POST ++" or "READY TO POST --" (that part will be removed in the final
 scheduling phase, when dates are assigned).
 Those blog posts are saved as Drafts for now.

 **''Nature of the bug:''**

 In blog administration > Posts > All Posts, I was reported there was an
 issue, and indeed,
 - if I type "READY TO POST" in the upper-right search box, run the search,
 - it returns the text "12 items", and that's the right number of posts
 that are currently called "READY TO POST", currently in Draft state...
 - however in the listing of posts below, only 7 posts are listed, and
 there is no "next page" navigation to browse to a second page of posts
 listing

 Here's a screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/qG4Awo8

 I think I may have found either the origin, or a factor in the problem:
 In Screen options (horizontal menu, in the admin, in the same Posts page),
 there is an entry called "Number of items per page:", with the value "20".
 Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/e3oDjBq

 And that's wrong, it says "20", but there are only 7 posts listed in Admin
 > Posts > All Posts, be it the default listing, or a search.

 I don't know if there's a relation, but the blog is configured to display
 7 posts on the home page.

 I tested something, in Admin > Posts > All Posts, I replaced that "20" by
 other numbers.
 - If those numbers are above the number of search results, the current bug
 remains, telling there are 12 results, but only showing 7.
 - If I replace "Number of items per page" by 11 or a smaller number, this
 time it still lists 7 posts only, but I get the missing pagination
 buttons, screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/fLBv7PL

 Summary of what I tried: with a search, what I write on "Number of items
 per page" actually does NOT affect the number of displayed results, it's
 always 7, but depending on whether I choose a number lower, or above or
 equal to the expected number of results, I have, or haven't, the
 pagination buttons that allow to view the rest of the results posts.

 *

 I could partially reproduce the issue with another query.
 Simply searching "ready to" returns 168 results among the posts.
 - If I configure Number of items per page to 170, I get no navigation
 buttons: https://imgur.com/a/DKC70ZZ
 - If I configure Number of items per page to 167, I get navigation
 buttons: https://imgur.com/a/HF3cLjN
 ... oh, damnit, I just realized. It's only a second page of results. No
 more. Even going into the URL of the page, trying replacing &paged=2 with
 something like &paged=3, did nothing, still listing the contents of
 &paged=2.
 The only workaround is to choose to display 7 posts per page, screenshot:
 https://imgur.com/a/r2qwRqu

 *

 I forgot to list the plugins on the blog, namely: Add Browser Search,
 Akismet anti-spam, Antispam bee, Classic editor, Custom Smilies, Dave's
 wordpress live search, disable emojis (gdpr friendly), Display php
 version, Enhanced text widget, Inline spoilers, ManageWP- Worker,
 Nextscripts: social networks auto-poster, Php Code widget, Post-plugin
 library, Random Posts, Scheduled Post Trigger, Seemore, Shortcoder, Term
 Management Tools, ThreeWP Activity Monitor, User lLocker, WordPress
 editorial calender, Wp Editor (that one, with a community php fix to make
 it php7 compatible), Wp super cache, Wp-dbmanager, WP-pagenavi, Wp-polls,
 Wp-postratings, Wp-sweep, Wpdiscuz, WPS Hide Login, Yoast SEO,
 ZigWidgetClass

 *

 I checked the site's apache error log (I'm the host, it's on my dedi, and
 I help when there are issues), and I can tell there are zero events
 appearing in the error log while searching in the list of posts, or
 changing the number of display results.

 *

 I also helped last year, same period of time, and there wasn't that bug at
 that time.

 *

 Well, I don't see what else I could do here, hopefully it's only that blog
 that has that problem.
 Apologies, also, that it's not a standard bug report, I'm not used to
 doing it at all. Good evening!