[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #50423: The expand icon at the bottom of the collapsed admin menu is not easily discoverable.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jun 18 17:03:29 UTC 2020

#50423: The expand icon at the bottom of the collapsed admin menu is not easily
discoverable.
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  dmatamales          |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)        |     Status:  new
Component:  Administration      |    Version:
 Severity:  normal              |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui, administration  |
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 I had a long-standing client who has been using WordPress for years
 recently complain to me that the admin menu was collapsed on one of their
 sites.  They told me that they would like it to be expanded like it is on
 their other site.

 They seemed to think that it was something that I would need to change as
 a developer or in some advanced setting somewhere.  When I went to tell
 them how to do it, I realized that the process is less than ideal for
 these reasons:

 1. The expand icon is hidden at the bottom of the menu, so it is really
 hard/unlikely to discover, especially if you've accidentally collapsed the
 menu and then scrolled or navigated away.
 2. The expand icon is literally a play button.  It's a right pointing
 triangle inside a circle.  I might expect this icon to manage a video or
 audio plugin given the context.
 3. The expand icon blends in with all of the icons representing menu
 items.  It looks like just another menu item.  It is the exact same size
 and color.  There is not even a separator between the expand icon and the
 last item's icon, so the icon is lumped in with whichever menu item's icon
 is last (see attached screenshot).

 The expand icon does not look like a control for the menu, it looks like
 another icon in the menu.  And due to its appearance and location, it is
 not easily discoverable, especially for someone who may have accidentally
 collapsed the menu months ago during their first tutorial using WordPress.