[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #50754: REST updating a post without author support updates the author to the current user

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jul 30 12:38:57 UTC 2020

#50754: REST updating a post without author support updates the author to the
current user
 Reporter:  jadpm         |       Owner:  (none)

Comment (by jadpm):

 Some more information after debugging this slightly.

 It is not enough to preserve the author when collecting the data that the
 REST API gets posted when saving a post. That would mostly keep the post
 author, but not in all cases.

 Given the nature of the legacy metaboxes support, after REST saving a post
 with the (blocks) editor, an AJAX call is fired as to save metabox data,
 pretending to fire a POST request against the `edit.php` page, hence
 firing again an `wp_update_post`. Following the legacy editor logic, in
 that request we do not include post author data because there is no author
 selector, hence the current user ID is set.

 This triggers some extra and probably interesting questions: why are we
 saving the post once form the REST APi and then again when saving the
 legacy metabox data? May this introduce some other glitches who manifest
 in a number of other tickets related to wrong author being set, for
 example?

 To the topic in this ticket, as I said above, a summary: preserving the
 current post author when saving a post with no declared support for this
 field is not enough if the post editor contains a legacy metabox.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/50754#comment:2>