[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #50675: Media: migrate the data from the attachment post of the parent image when saving an edited image

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jul 17 23:08:24 UTC 2020

#50675: Media: migrate the data from the attachment post of the parent image when
saving an edited image
 Reporter:  azaozz                   |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  new
  tests                              |  api

Comment (by azaozz):

 Replying to [comment:10 joedolson]:
 > Copying any of the information over at all requires a certain amount of
 assumption about the nature of the editing process; certainly for changes
 of size or rotations, it's still the same image - for cropping actions,
 that's less clear; it may or may not be the same image.

 Yes, went back and forth on this couple of times. Seems most users would
 expect the image description and caption to be the same after editing it.
 This is also the current case, hence the change.

 > Ideally, I think that there should be a user interface to give people
 the opportunity to edit meta for an attachment at the time it's created

 Yes, lets try to do #47456 in 5.6. It' is a large change that touches many
 parts, both UI and "backend", and ideally will be done by a small
 team/several people.

 > ...it could be pre-populated with the existing meta data, as even if the
 information has changed, that's a likely starting point.

 Sounds good. Added in https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-
 develop/pull/415.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/50675#comment:13>