[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #50640: [PHPUnit] Mark test as skipped instead of failing if GD extension is not availble

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jul 12 21:15:21 UTC 2020

#50640: [PHPUnit] Mark test as skipped instead of failing if GD extension is not
availble
------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  ayeshrajans       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new

Comment (by ayeshrajans):

 With due respect, I would like to appeal for the ticket closure.

 WordPress already has several tests being skipped due to extension
 availability:

  - mbstring
  - xsl
  - fileinfo
  - openssl
  - zip

 Further, we already have `Tests_Image_Meta` class that skips the whole
 test class if `gd` extension is not available, which is precisely what we
 do in this test too. I agree about your point that this reduces test
 reliability, but failing a test does not improve the system we are testing
 anyway. Travis CI, for example, will have the `gd` extension in official
 PHP builds (all versions WordPress officially supports have Travis tests
 passing).

 So on Travis, we will be running the exact same amount of assertions. We
 just avoid marking a test as "failure", which should have been a "skipped"
 test in a system that does not have necessary extensions to start the test
 in the first place.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/50640#comment:3>