[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #49151: Show a warning for plugins in WP admin that haven't received updates in a long time

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jul 7 13:43:14 UTC 2020

#49151: Show a warning for plugins in WP admin that haven't received updates in a
long time
 Reporter:  vincenthasselgard        |       Owner:  audrasjb
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  accepted
  patch needs-refresh                |  ui-copy
Changes (by desrosj):

 * keywords:  has-screenshots has-patch => has-screenshots has-patch needs-
     refresh
 * milestone:  5.5 => 5.6

Comment:

 With Beta 1 later today, I am going to punt this to 5.6 as it still needs
 some work.

 I agree that the new function in the PR should be avoided in favor of
 `plugins_api()`. There is also a `$fields` argument that can be used to
 only request the information required. Something like this should work:

 {{{
 $info = plugins_api(
         'plugin_information',
         array(
                 'fields' => array(
                         'last_updated',
                 ),
         )
 );
 }}}

 There is also one situation I don't see discussed yet. Say version 1.0 of
 plugin A is installed on a site and version 2.0 is available. Currently,
 the patch shows the date the plugin was last updated on .org, not on the
 site itself. I'm wondering if this would ever be confusing to the user.
 "Oh, I last updated x months ago."

 >  We may also want to include this check in the MU plugins section

 I think that MU plugins should be excluded from this check, mainly because
 the user cannot take action to update them. But I don't feel strongly
 about this.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/49151#comment:28>