[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #48894: Improve the small user sub window at the right corner on the admin bar a.k.a. the Howdy fly-out

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jul 6 11:32:51 UTC 2020

#48894: Improve the small user sub window at the right corner on the admin bar
a.k.a. the Howdy fly-out
 Reporter:  ixkaito                  |       Owner:  afercia
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  assigned
  screenshots needs-refresh          |  javascript

Comment (by afercia):

 Looking better at it: we can't entirely remove `hoverintent-js`. Whether
 we like it or not, plugins do all sort of things with their menus. They do
 add their own sub-menus and without `hoverintent-js` they won't open any
 longer. Some plugins also attach an action to the sub-item that opens a
 sub-menu so that pressing Enter or Spacebar will likely trigger that
 action :(

 For example:
 - install and activate the "View Admin As" plugin
 - on trunk: see that hovering a sub-item opens its sub-menu
 - with the patch applied: the sub-menu doesn't open any longer
 - pressing Enter will now trigger the action associated with the sub-item

 This way, there's the risk this change will break several plugins.

 As with many other things in WordPress that don't have an established API,
 plugins are allowed to do whatever they want. For this reason, this change
 should be as minimal as possible. At the very least:
 - we should restrict the change only to the top-level items
 - better: we should avoid a so large change and reconsider the initial
 proposal to change only the "Howdy" menu

 That said, given the very late design feedback at a few days from Beta 1,
 I'm afraid we have only two options:
 - change only the "Howdy" menu with some different design: feedback from
 the design team should be given in the next few hours
 - postpone this change to the next release and later discuss publicly how
 to improve the process to make sure feedback from other teams happens
 timely and doesn't block the progress

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/48894#comment:62>