[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #50382: Language improvement: reconsider use of the word 'nonce', as used in WordPress

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jul 2 09:52:27 UTC 2020

#50382: Language improvement: reconsider use of the word 'nonce', as used in
WordPress
 Reporter:  dartiss       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement   |      Status:  new

Comment (by dartiss):

 As far as I can tell, only `nonce` is the correct spelling, whether used
 in code or as the British slang term.

 Are people being offended? The term suggests that someone is a sexual
 predator towards children. That's what it means. And WordPress puts our
 errors such as...

 Error: invalid nonce

 Has anybody been offended?
 https://twitter.com/search?q=wordpress%20nonce&src=typed_query would
 suggest that a good deal of people are, at least, mentioning it because it
 seems, well, odd to be using that term. Personally, I don't wait around
 for offence to occur before correcting something that is, in my opinion,
 wrong. We should change this.

 As for all the functions and global that use it, something similar is
 being down with blacklist (see
 https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/48900), including renaming globals
 and putting temporary aliases in place.

 Or is the fact that this (potentially) only offends people in one country
 a limiting factor in how much work can be justified to correct it?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/50382#comment:5>