[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #48894: Improve the small user sub window at the right corner on the admin bar a.k.a. the Howdy fly-out

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jul 2 00:48:41 UTC 2020

#48894: Improve the small user sub window at the right corner on the admin bar
a.k.a. the Howdy fly-out
 Reporter:  ixkaito                              |       Owner:  afercia
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  assigned
  has-screenshots                                |  accessibility

Comment (by mapk):

 Thanks for the context, @afercia and @audrasjb! After reviewing, I'd like
 to add my personal feedback: The proposed mid-point solution will
 introduce inconsistencies and visual oddities that are too severe IMO.

 Adding a dropdown arrow is visually challenging. It definitely should not
 go on the left side of the text and adding it to the right of the avatar
 is awkward. Dropping the avatar in exchange for the dropdown arrow may
 work, but this still leaves us with an inconsistent topbar interaction
 model.

 Rather than moving forward on this, I opt for a more cohesive solution
 that includes adding onClicks to all topbar menu items. Leaving out any
 dropdown arrows would be equally fine once this interaction is
 implemented.

 I understand this option will prevent it from getting into WP 5.5, but I
 think this solution opens more visual and interaction problems in an
 effort to solve one.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/48894#comment:44>