[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #48920: role="navigation" no longer necessary on <nav> element in the_posts_navigation

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jan 10 16:17:03 UTC 2020

#48920: role="navigation" no longer necessary on <nav> element in
the_posts_navigation
 Reporter:  philbuchanan  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement   |      Status:  new
Changes (by philbuchanan):

 * keywords:  reporter-feedback =>

Comment:

 Thanks for the feedback/info and taking the time to review.

 I received the report of announcing "navigation" twice from a client who
 apparently received it from a customer. I wasn't able to specifically
 reproduce myself (I only have access to MacOS VocieOver for testing, and
 that doesn't announce "navigation" twice). I can try and track down the
 original source, but I suspect you're correct in that it was likely a bug
 in a specific screenreader—or a false report.

 My thought regarding removing the aria-role attribute anyway was about the
 redundant nature of it. I use a tool (SiteImprove) for testing
 accessibility of the sites I develop and they surface a warning/recommend
 removing it. I also understand the want/need to support older
 browsers/assistive technologies, so I'm happy to keep for now if that is
 the recommendation/decision.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/48920#comment:3>