[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44588: Denote the Copy action is complete by updating the Copy button to state 'Copied'

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jan 10 07:39:10 UTC 2020

#44588: Denote the Copy action is complete by updating the Copy button to state
'Copied'
 Reporter:  garrett-eclipse                      |       Owner:  garrett-
                                                 |  eclipse
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by xkon):

 Hey @nickylimjj, thanks for the follow-up!

 Unfortunately, the text that is added at the moment is a little bit
 "vague" in regards of the HTML as we didn't set any standard classes to
 somehow distinguish what is explanatory vs suggestion. This has led to
 plugins adding just paragraphs and heading without any major distinction
 though which is kind of making it "non-expressive".

 The difference that was visible currently with the current italic
 Suggested text was that it was just wrapped in an extra <p> without any
 class. This is also under consideration at the moment on changing in
 #44621 that could potentially add a wrapper around the suggested text only
 for better visual indication so that would definitely make targetting way
 easier for the copying purposes.

 What I propose for now to avoid losing the scope here also is to simply
 add the functionality needed for this ticket only which is the indication
 of "Copied!".

 Moving to clipboard.js and changing the actual copy mechanism should be
 tracked on a different ticket than this, at least that's what I propose to
 not end up having tickets again waiting on each other that are changing
 functionality without it being obvious.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44588#comment:23>