[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #45908: Twenty Nineteen: Add version number for all single PHP files for better handling in child themes

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Feb 24 16:11:10 UTC 2020

#45908: Twenty Nineteen: Add version number for all single PHP files for better
handling in child themes
---------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  laurelfulford  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement    |      Status:  closed
Changes (by zodiac1978):

 * keywords:  needs-patch => close
 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix

Comment:

 After the release of Twenty Nineteen (and TwentyTwenty!) it doesn't make
 any sense any more to add those version numbers for single template files.

 Although the idea got some nice reviews on the proof of concept plugin ...
 https://wordpress.org/plugins/child-theme-check/

 and on WP Tavern (and on some other platforms/blogs)...
 https://wptavern.com/child-theme-check-plugin-helps-wordpress-users-
 navigate-parent-theme-updates#comments

 .. it doesn't got any traction, has no support from the Theme review team
 or the developer from the Theme Check plugin and in times of Gutenberg the
 future of child themes in general is unsure. So I think we safely can
 close this here (unfortunately) to clean up trac a bit more.

 I'm still sad this got no support from anyone. :(

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/45908#comment:2>