[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47510: Developer tool - Best Practice - input comment field Does not use passive listeners

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Feb 23 05:39:50 UTC 2020

#47510: Developer tool - Best Practice - input comment field Does not use passive
listeners
------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
 Reporter:  efilippucci             |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)            |      Status:  new
  refresh                           |
------------------------------------+--------------------------------------

Comment (by slkfsdf8y34ljhsfsdfkuhfkl84hj):

 We have internal split tests of ranking advantages in the search engines
 before/after optimization of the Lighthouse scores are made.

 It's a bit tricky at the moment as you need to stack more than one thing
 at once in order for Google to move the needle.

 For their speed ranking factor Google is using field data from Chrome that
 comes from the Chrome UX field data - e.g. real life speed and the
 Lighthouse score and loading benchmarks.

 One of the biggest bottlenecks for the WordPress core that is left if not
 the biggest is this one. It penalizes the speed score significantly.

 If this thing is fixed, it would solve by default a large bottleneck from
 the scoring which otherwise could be solved by paying like 200 USD to
 Cloudflare and use specific type of an optimization.

 Put a site with 1000K+ articles there and you can achieve drastically
 better search engine visibility from that alone.

 Fixing that score for all of the WordPress users that would make the
 update would give them better visibility for those that rely heavily on
 Gutenberg and not plugins in the search engines without them having to pay
 Ezoic or Cloudflare's premium to fix that score there.

 There is even more to that - especially on posts that have large amount of
 comments.

 I drive science-based SEO isolated tests and this is one of my primary
 business in the past year. We've been discussing that for a long period of
 time and this is the first time I am saying these conclusions in public.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47510#comment:28>