[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #48689: PHP warnings after updating to WP 5.3: ftp_nlist() and ftp_pwd() expect missing parameters

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Dec 29 14:41:10 UTC 2020

#48689: PHP warnings after updating to WP 5.3: ftp_nlist() and ftp_pwd() expect
missing parameters
-------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  Hinjiriyo          |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  closed
Changes (by SirLouen):

 * keywords:  needs-patch => needs-patch close
 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => invalid

Comment:

 @BearlyDoug this problem happens when it (a plugin most of the time) tries
 to use an FTP-based FS_METHOD like ftpext wrongly. Considering that you
 switched to "direct" then, this 2 functions **ftp_nlist** and **ftp_pwd**
 will not be required more.

 Some plugins although, disregard the FS_METHOD and they force using an FTP
 therefore this messages could appear.

 I'm still not 100% sure, but according to my research, operating with
 FTPext in WP changed some time ago, not sure after which patch, maybe 5.2,
 5.3, 5.4 but some plugins have still failed to adapt to the new mechanism.

 For example, MainWP did not patch the FTPext method, so now they force
 using direct to all their clients. If you set ftpext for FS_METHOD you
 will see these errors.

 I don't think this is a bug from WordPress, but a bug from plugin authors
 so we might close this.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/48689#comment:16>