[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51964: WordPress Menu Editor is not accessible for the blind users who use screen reader

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Dec 11 15:33:37 UTC 2020

#51964: WordPress Menu Editor is not accessible for the blind users  who use screen
reader
--------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  javad2000     |       Owner:  azhiyadev
     Type:  feature       |      Status:  assigned
  request                 |
Changes (by ryokuhi):

 * status:  new => assigned
 * focuses:  accessibility => ui, accessibility, administration
 * owner:  (none) => azhiyadev
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review => 5.7
 * keywords:   => needs-design
 * severity:  major => normal

Old description:

> Hello
> I am blind and I use WordPress with screen reader software (JAWS and
> NVDA).
> Using Wordpress menu editor is too tedious and time-consuming for a blind
> user, although other features are quite accessible.
> When I go to Appearance > Menus and I add many items to the menu, I
> cannot rearrange the menu items by drag&drop. I can use Move up / Move
> down / Move under options for moving the menu items, but this is too
> time-consuming. I need to press Move Up button 20 times if I want to move
> an item up to 20 steps higher.  If I want to move 5 items up by 20 steps,
> I need to press "Move up" 100 times, over and over. If I want to create a
> hierarchical menu  with an average of 30 menu items, I need to take about
> 3 hours on rearranging the items.
>
> Bulk Action Feature Request:
> I want to have checkboxes beside menu items, so I can select several menu
> items simultaneously and apply a bulk move / reposition action on all of
> them simultaneously. For example, I select 6 menu items at a time and I
> have two comboboxes: parent item, position. I select "About Us" as the
> parent item, and "3" as their position. This way, all 6 items go to
> position 3 under "About Us". This is much faster than pressing "Move Up"
> 120 times for reordering those 6 items.
>
> Bulk actions are available in all Wordpress taxonomies (Pages, posts,
> plugins, themes, etc.). I wonder why bulk actions are not available for
> menu items.
>
> Thank you

New description:

[...]

 Hello @javad2000, and thank you for reporting this problem.
 The ticket was discussed during the weekly accessibility bug scrub. The
 accessibility team agrees that, while this is a major problem for screen
 reader users, also sighted users could benefit from such a feature.
 The ticket needs some design: all interfaces where bulk actions are
 available use WP tables, while the menu screen is different, so we can't
 apply the same design.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/51964#comment:2>