[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #52007: sticky_posts somehow ends up with duplicate IDs and unstickying only removes one at a time

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Dec 10 02:12:34 UTC 2020

#52007: sticky_posts somehow ends up with duplicate IDs and unstickying only
removes one at a time
-------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  archon810          |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)       |     Status:  new
Component:  Posts, Post Types  |    Version:  5.5.3
 Severity:  normal             |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                     |
-------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Hi all,

 Somehow we ran into this bug on production where the sticky_posts array
 ended up with duplicate IDs that were stickied, and unstickying only
 removed the same ID one at a time instead of all of them at once, so
 unstickying kept the post stickied until it was unstickied enough times to
 clear the array.

 For example, this is how I found sticky_posts:
 {{{
 a:3:{i:1;i:744381;i:2;i:725382;i:3;i:725382;}
 }}}

 Note that 725382 is duplicated. Unstickying once did this:
 {{{
 a:2:{i:0;i:744381;i:1;i:725382;}
 }}}

 How we got to the duplicate ID state, I cannot say (perhaps that's a
 separate bug), but solution here is to not exit the loop when the ID is
 reached and removed and instead keep going till the end.