[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51944: TwentyTwentyOne: The main element must not appear as a descendant of the section element.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Dec 5 10:37:27 UTC 2020

#51944: TwentyTwentyOne: The main element must not appear as a descendant of the
section element.
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  albertomake       |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)      |     Status:  new
Component:  Themes            |    Version:  5.6
 Severity:  normal            |   Keywords:  needs-patch
  Focuses:  coding-standards  |
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Hi, on the header.php in the twentytwentyone theme we can see this at the
 end of the document:

 {{{
                 <section id="primary" class="content-area">
                         <main id="main" class="site-main" role="main">
 }}}

 The problem here is that the **main** element must not appear as a
 descendant of the **section** element.

 I raised a similar ticket two years ago for the twentynineteen theme where
 I proposed to change the section element for a div.
 (https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47066).

 Also, this change involves changing the closing section element in the
 footer.php:

 {{{
                         </main><!-- #main -->
                 </section><!-- #primary -->
 }}}

 The solution for the header and footer files would look like this:
 **header.php**

 {{{
                         <main id="main" class="site-main" role="main">
 }}}

 **footer.php**

 {{{
                         </main><!-- #main -->