[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51184: get_the_date() checks $format only for empty variable and fails on false boolean - since WP 5.5

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Aug 29 07:11:36 UTC 2020

#51184: get_the_date() checks $format only for empty variable and fails on false
boolean - since WP 5.5
------------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  wittich                       |       Owner:  SergeyBiryukov
     Type:  defect (bug)                  |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by Rarst):

 * status:  closed => reopened
 * resolution:  invalid =>

Comment:

 I don't think we should indicate or check for boolean there, because it's
 not meant to accept that at all. It's just _one_ way _how_ it can fail.

 Technically `empty()` check would be better _equivalent_ for old code, but
 it's meh when input can be non-empty but also not string that we want
 (it's WordPress! inputs are garbage).

 I would flip the statements and check for valid case first `if( is_string(
 $format ) && '' !== $format )` and anything else would fall back to
 default format.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/51184#comment:4>