[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51110: Create a UI for user-level privacy / consent management options on the profile page

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Aug 26 18:38:54 UTC 2020

#51110: Create a UI for user-level privacy / consent management options on the
profile page
 Reporter:  carike       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
  privacy-review         |  privacy
Description changed by carike:

Old description:

> [...]
> {{{#!php
> <?php
> <h2> Your Privacy </h2>
>
> <h3> While logged in: </h3>
> }}}
>
> ''Plugins should be able to filter paragraph:''
> {{{#!php
> <?php

> will persist until you change them.
> You may be prompted to update your consent from time to time.
> For example, you may be asked whether you still consent to marketing if
> you have previously opted in
> and the site added a new cookie.
> This is merely an example, as legislative requirements differ between
> jurisdictions.</p>
>
> <h4> Consent categories: </h4>
> }}}
>
> ''User_meta values should only be created once a user saves their privacy
> preferences, not once a new user is created, to not unnecessarily strain
> large sites.
> Plugins should be able to update the default values for the checkboxes
> (i.e. for when no user_meta value exists), as well as whether the
> checkboxes should be edit-able by the user or not, as obligations may
> vary depending on the jurisdictions involved.''
>
> {{{#!php
> <?php
>
> 5 checkboxes with the descriptions: Functional, Preferences, Anonymous
> Statistics, Statistics, Marketing.
> }}}
>
> ''There should be a filter here so that the Disclosure / Permissions tabs
> or consent management plugins can add more information if they need to,
> or to add more granular choices.''
>
> {{{#!php
> <?php
> <h3> While logged out: </h3>
> }}}
>
> ''Plugins should be able to filter this paragraph:''
> {{{#!php
> <?php
> and will only persist until the cookie expires, or is deleted.
> If this happens, these values will reset to the website's defaults.
>
> 5 checkboxes with the descriptions: Functional, Preferences, Anonymous
> Statistics, Statistics, Marketing.
> }}}
>
> ''There should be a filter here so that the Disclosure / Permissions tabs
> or consent management plugins can add more information if they need to,
> or to add more granular choices.''
>
> {{{#!php
> <?php
> <h4> Website defaults </h4>
>
> 5 checkboxes (not select-able) with the descriptions: Functional,
> Preferences, Anonymous Statistics, Statistics, Marketing. These should
> display the site's default values, which should be edit-able by plugins.
> }}}
>
> ''There should be a filter here so that the Disclosure / Permissions tabs
> or consent management plugins can add more information if they need to,
> or to add more granular choices.''
>
> This ticket was created in response to a request from Paaljoachim.

New description:

[...]

 Ideally, there would be a mechanism (e.g. two buttons) to request data
 export or erasure here.
 Thanks a lot to Ronnie Burt for bringing this up on Slack!
 It is important to note that the user should need to log again to make
 either an export or erasure request.
 Also, the request needs to be confirmed via e-mail for registered users.
 I imagine this would work best if it was similar to how password resets
 work at the moment.

 This ticket was created in response to a request from Paaljoachim.

Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/51110#comment:2>