[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47058: Site Health: does not distinguish between production / staging / development sites

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Aug 22 09:42:47 UTC 2020

#47058: Site Health: does not distinguish between production / staging /
development sites
---------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  DavidAnderson  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement    |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by knutsp):

 A problem with changing how the outcome of tests are treated is that they
 may come as a surprise when site enters production, and that defeats the
 purpose of staging (and developing). One can also argue failing tests
 should be considered more severe in non-production than production.

 Some production sites are completely immutable when it comes to the
 software, so then it's too late and must go back to staging to fix it. So
 it's very important that no tests are skipped or hidden in other
 environments.

 When I have a staging site mirroring my production site, my production
 site has no updates, installation of plugins, swithing of themes or
 theme/plugin editing. Admin can only handle content and users. No Site
 Health visible or tests running.

 A fesh amateur site, as most are, should be considered a development type,
 as it's open to change by installing plugins to try, change theme and all
 WP can offer. In development don't exclude production, it's the other way
 around.

 I think core should be very, very careful about letting this new
 environment type influence anything by default, but let developers define
 that entirely, for the time being.

 It seems to me this feature was added at a nice to have basis, without a
 clear goal of what it should solve. So we have to find out afterwards. I
 hope some can make a write-up about how it can be made useful, from the
 core perspective, beyond standardizing the type names.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47058#comment:11>