[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51088: Site Health Status widget displays incorrect or inconsistent number of issues

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Aug 21 09:53:40 UTC 2020

#51088: Site Health Status widget displays incorrect or inconsistent number of
issues
-------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  Ate Up With Motor  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  new

Comment (by Ate Up With Motor):

 I concur. On the Site Health page itself, while it's still calculating, it
 displays the message "Results are still loading… " until it's finished,
 after which it displays correctly. Even if it's a bit laggy on a slow or
 heavily loaded server, there's little ambiguity about what it's doing. The
 widget is more of an issue because it doesn't appear to finish calculating
 itself -- even after returning to the main dashboard several times after
 performing other tasks, it will often still show its preliminary, high
 estimate of 5 or 6 issues.

 One concern with the high false positive number the widget sometimes
 displays is that if an administrative user becomes accustomed to it, they
 may tend to ignore the widget and thus be slow to recognize when the Site
 Health monitor has really identified a real problem. This has already
 happened to me a few times; I had a new issue (luckily not a severe one --
 a stalled cron job) that had persisted for several days because I assumed
 the Site Health widget was crying wolf again. That's unfortunate because
 it tends to reduce the effectiveness of this useful functionality.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/51088#comment:2>