[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #49069: Multisite: 404 template isn't used in network installs when a file extension is used in the URL

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Apr 15 08:49:30 UTC 2020

#49069: Multisite: 404 template isn't used in network installs when a file
extension is used in the URL
 Reporter:  henry.wright              |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)              |      Status:  new

Comment (by limestreet):

 I think that's a bug.
 I was able to reproduce the issue, it's not just causing that errors are
 handled by the server - it creates inifinite redirect loop for non
 existent directory and 500 Internal error.
 When you try to open non existent directory with the trailing slash at the
 end you get redirect loop (to itself) - example url:

 {{{
 http://example.com/wp-content/non-existent/
 }}}

 when there is no trailing slash at the end you get 404 error and that
 error is handled by the server too - example:

 {{{
 http://example.com/wp-content/non-existent
 }}}

 I think the issue is caused by the following rule:

 {{{
 RewriteRule ^(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
 }}}

 As far as I understand it just redirects URI to itself...
 So it looks like it may be removed.
 If it's okay I may provide a patch for that issue.

 Best,
 Patryk

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/49069#comment:7>