[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #49899: <plugin_name> detected an advanced-cache.php file in the wp-content directory. It seems that this is not the <plugin_name> advanced-cache.php file. Please remove this file and disable any other caching plugins to use this <plugin_name>.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Apr 13 22:19:41 UTC 2020

#49899: <plugin_name> detected an advanced-cache.php file in the wp-content
directory. It seems that this is not the <plugin_name> advanced-cache.php
file. Please remove this file and disable any other caching plugins to use
this <plugin_name>.
-------------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  jeffreycooper                  |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement                    |     Status:  new
Component:  Plugins                        |    Version:
 Severity:  major                          |   Keywords:  dev-feedback
  Focuses:  performance, coding-standards  |
-------------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 ==== How to Reproduce ====

 Simply install and activate two cache plugins that use advanced-cache.php
 file from the admin dashboard one after another.

 Isn't that time to change how WordPress use the advanced-cache.php file?
 Why not make wp-settings.php file to look for:

 /wp-content/*-advanced-cache.php

 In this way cache plugin developers will be able to create file with their
 name and functionality such as:

 /wp-content/<plugin_name>-advanced-cache.php

 In this way there will be no file replacing/removing and etc. and the
 whole plugin fight on who to use the advanced-cache.php file will be
 resolved. There will be no problem to have:

 /wp-content/<my_plugin>-advanced-cache.php
 /wp-content/<your_plugin>-advanced-cache.php
 /wp-content/<our_plugin>-advanced-cache.php

 The other possible (with eventually slower processing) solution is the
 advanced-cache.php file to be searched for in all of the plugins
 directory:

 /wp-content/plugins/*

 In this way each plugin can store their advanced-cache.php file in their
 own plugin root folder:

 /wp-content/plugins/<my_plugin>/advanced-cache.php
 /wp-content/plugins/<your_plugin>/advanced-cache.php
 /wp-content/plugins/<our_plugin>/advanced-cache.php

 And again this will be resolved. Any ideas on that?

 Thanks in advance.