[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #49520: Feature request: Migrate cron from a single serialized wp_options entry to its own table

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Apr 10 02:56:32 UTC 2020

#49520: Feature request: Migrate cron from a single serialized wp_options entry to
its own table
--------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  archon810     |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  closed
Changes (by peterwilsoncc):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => duplicate
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review =>

Comment:

 I'm going to close this as a duplicate of #15148.

 I still consider modifying the Cron storage mechanism plugin territory.
 For many typical WordPress sites, modifying the storage mechanism may
 result in a negative performance impact due to the additional database
 queries.

 As you've pointed to Cavalcade, it's worth noting the
 [https://github.com/humanmade/Cavalcade plugin] can be used to modify the
 storage mechanism without the need for the [https://github.com/humanmade
 /Cavalcade-Runner runner].

 To continue using the WordPress loopback requests, you'd need to define
 `define( 'DISABLE_WP_CRON', false );` in your wp-config file, I'd also
 suggest this
 [https://gist.github.com/peterwilsoncc/2a4d41b88a7820d40bf8122b82338814
 mini-plugin as a little sugar] to reverse a Cavalcade design decision.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/49520#comment:3>