[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #49867: Incorrect punctuation for the comment preview string ($moderation_note) in Twenty Twelve and possibly other Twenty themes

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Apr 9 22:36:25 UTC 2020

#49867: Incorrect punctuation for the comment preview string ($moderation_note) in
Twenty Twelve and possibly other Twenty themes
 Reporter:  llizard       |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 In the Twenty Twelve theme, the punctuation for the comment preview string
 of $moderation_note is incorrect.

 This is the coding in the functions file for the twentytwelve theme:

 {{{
 $commenter = wp_get_current_commenter();
                                 if ( $commenter['comment_author_email'] )
 {
                                         $moderation_note = __( 'Your
 comment is awaiting moderation.', 'twentytwelve' );
                                 } else {
                                         $moderation_note = __( 'Your
 comment is awaiting moderation. This is a preview, your comment will be
 visible after it has been approved.', 'twentytwelve' );
                                 }
 }}}

 It is possible that other WP themes' functions files have something
 similar, because when I searched "This is a preview, your comment will be
 visible after it has been approved", various WP Twenty Something themes
 appeared (recent ones as well as this earlier twentytwelve).

 I have been unable to discover how to change the wording within my own
 Twenty Twelve child theme's functions file. (I have asked for help on this
 on two occasions but it appears that anyone looking in the WP forums
 doesn’t know the answer either.)

 Therefore, in the next update of WP themes Twenty Twelve (and whichever of
 the Twenty series themes the phrase occurs), please correct the
 punctuation in the following string

     "This is a preview, your comment will be visible after it has been
 approved."

 Please note that the comma after 'preview' does not belong. The sentence
 should read:

 ''This is a preview; your comment will be visible after it has been
 approved.
 ''
 OR

 ''This is a preview – your comment will be visible after it has been
 approved.''

 OR

 ''This is a preview. Your comment will be visible after it has been
 approved.
 ''
 Of course, it may seem like a small thing to have to fix, but grammar
 teachers will be most appreciative if it is corrected at last. As would I.
 Thank you.