[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47318: Fix the placeholder for the post title field on the classic Edit Post screen

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Sep 29 17:29:40 UTC 2019

#47318: Fix the placeholder for the post title field on the classic Edit Post
screen
---------------------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  azaozz                     |       Owner:  azaozz
     Type:  defect (bug)               |      Status:  closed

Comment (by azaozz):

 Replying to [comment:27 afercia]:

 Hmm, I think there is a slight misunderstanding here :)

 > Technically, the requirements for an authoring tool are not the same as
 the ones for Web Content (the W and C in WCAG). Actually, they're the ATAG
 (Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines) which are stricter than WCAG :)

 Right, exactly. We shouldn't be looking at that as a "text input field in
 a web form". It is an "application element" and as such it should comply
 with something like ATAG (which is still only targeted at web based
 applications, not for all computer applications) rather than with WCAG
 (which is for web pages). I understand that in the background it uses
 HTML, CSS and JS, but that's just the "technology layer". It shouldn't
 make any differences what technology is used, the "app element" will have
 to be accessible regardless of it.

 > Encouraging the use of placeholder as replacement for labels...

 Think there is the misunderstanding. I personally quite dislike
 placeholders as implemented in HTML forms text elements. And I think many
 people share that, not surprisingly placeholders are not that common on
 the web. Having said that, we shouldn't be limiting what technical
 solutions we use in order to make an application element more accessible.
 If it must be a placeholder, it will be :)

 > Form with multiple input fields an no visible labels: which is which?

 This is a nice example but it doesn't apply here :) There is only one text
 input field on that screen and the content of that field is not cryptic.
 It was typed by the user.

 The tl;dr: Screens in wp-admin are **not** web page forms. They are
 "application screens". As such they should follow general computer
 applications accessibility standards and guidelines, not exactly WCAG
 which mostly applies to web pages.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47318#comment:28>