[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38741: Introduce the concept of a large site in order to speed up the Users screen when there are many users

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Sep 17 19:39:48 UTC 2019

#38741: Introduce the concept of a large site in order to speed up the Users screen
when there are many users
 Reporter:  johnbillion              |       Owner:  johnbillion
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  accepted
  feedback needs-testing             |  multisite, performance

Comment (by jb510):

 I found this looking into why count_users() was causing many pages in the
 admin to drag (and in this case only 6000 users).  It's not just a problem
 on wp-admin/users.php.

 +1 on sane function naming, but I find @johnjamesjacoby's suggestion
 confusing as well.  I'm not clear what is_large_install() would
 specifically check for? Everything? Why? Does it still have functions to
 check for individual things being large?

 We have very large sites in terms of posts, in terms of comments, in terms
 of users, in terms of media assets and probably other things ... and they
 don't generally coincide.

 It doesn't make sense to me to short circuit comment counts just because
 you have a lot of users, or vice versa, which I presume is_large_install
 would do.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38741#comment:54>