[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47066: Twenty Nineteen: The main element must not appear as a descendant of the section element.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Sep 4 17:18:00 UTC 2019

#47066: Twenty Nineteen: The main element must not appear as a descendant of the
section element.
 Reporter:  albertomake              |       Owner:  audrasjb
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  closed
  note                               |  template

Comment (by afercia):

 > So we just need to understand that we're likely going to break some
 people's sites without warning.

 @earnjam I guess we all share your concerns :) That's the reason why this
 change needs to be merger early in the release cycle. A dev note will be
 published on core today or tomorrow on Make so I wouldn't say it's
 "without warning".

 A positive action everybody in the community can take is to communicate
 this change to the broadest audience as possible, starting with their
 personal network.

 > I know that since it's technically invalid markup, it could affect
 assistive technologies. Do we have any documented examples of them not
 functioning properly because of this or is it just theoretical?

 I'd say it's not only "technically invalid", it's also a bit embarrassing
 for an official theme. As per your question: no, I don't have documented
 examples of how ''this specific case'' could affect user agents and
 assistive technologies. Yes, I do have examples of how other cases of
 invalid markup affected user agents and assistive technologies. This can't
 be really predicted, because it also depends on the actual content within
 the `<main>` element.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47066#comment:19>