[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #48197: Hello, We are using the native domain mapping https://wordpress.org/support/article/wordpress-multisite-domain-mapping/ (was: Hello, We are using the native domain mappinghttps://wordpress.org/support/article/wordpress-multisite-domain-mapping/)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 2 12:05:27 UTC 2019

#48197: Hello,  We are using the native domain mapping
https://wordpress.org/support/article/wordpress-multisite-domain-mapping/
-------------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  juanfry                        |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature request                |      Status:  new
Changes (by knutsp):

 * keywords:   => 2nd-opinion reporter-feedback
 * component:  Administration => Networks and Sites

Comment:

 Hello, @juanfry and very welcome to Trac!

 Thank you for the suggestion!

 My question will be, since you say the plugin "works like a charm", you
 want it in core?

 Since Multisite does not need Domain Mapping to handle different domains
 on each site, and since www-forwarding is a common and free service on
 domain registrars, the need to let more than one domain point to the same
 site quite an edge case. Such functionality is usually best served a
 plugin, IMO.

 I used Domain Mapping until eight years ago, but ripped it out once
 WordPress Multisite became more flexible and easy to configure on
 different domains, extracting the mapping of more than one domain to same
 site as to a simple forwarder outside WP. Yet, I acknowledge that such
 forwarders only work with http, not https.

 Still, this may be a good idea, since it's a simple thing to do, at least
 if it can be done without extra tables.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/48197#comment:1>