[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #48787: Classic Editor user interface CSS inconsistencies when toggling "Enable full-height editor ..."

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Nov 25 10:28:30 UTC 2019

#48787: Classic Editor user interface CSS inconsistencies when toggling "Enable
full-height editor ..."
 Reporter:  afercia      |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
  (bug)                  |
Component:  Editor       |    Version:
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:  has-screenshots 5-3-admin-css-
  Focuses:  ui           |  changes
 Splitting this out from #47477 after @johnjamesjacoby's feedback.

 When toggling the "Enable full-height editor and distraction-free
 functionality" setting, it appears the Classic Editor toolbar gets some
 CSS rules that make it look inconsistent depending on the state of the
 setting.

 Part of these inconsistencies are new in WordPress 5.3, while other
 inconsistencies can be reproduced on WordPress 5.2 thus are pre-existing
 to the recent CSS changes.

 Please refer to the attached animated GIFs below for better clarity.

 - #48101 changed the border color of various "boxes" in the admin from
 `#e5e5e5` to `#ccd0d4`. In the Classic Editor, seems that the new color
 applies only to the toolbar top border and only when "Enable full-height
 ..." is on.
 - The other toolbar borders and the bottom padding change when toggling
 the setting also on WordPress 5.2. Not sure this is intentional or if
 there's a good reason to have a different styling. I'd tend to think these
 are probably inconsistencies happened over time that should be fixed.

 Worth noting the Classic Editor will still be supported for a couple years
 but it's not meant to get new functionalities or improvements. Only bug
 fixes will be addressed. Personally, I'd be in favour of fixing these
 inconsistencies because they don't appear to be terribly complicated and
 the fix won't likely break anything. I'd also suggest to use the new
 border color `#ccd0d4` for better contrast.