[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #48526: TwentyNineteen: Update margins in editor styles to address upcoming block editor margin changes

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 7 09:39:57 UTC 2019

#48526: TwentyNineteen: Update margins in editor styles to address upcoming block
editor margin changes
 Reporter:  Joen          |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by Joen):

 I hope this is the right place to patch TwentyNineteen.

 I'm not sure about the best timing for this to go in — it should not be in
 5.3 as the margins change is not part of that release. But the block
 editor change is very likely to land in the next version of the Gutenberg
 plugin release. I will defer to good advice on when and how to roll out
 this change.

 To clarify, if this patch goes into the theme for a user that is not
 running the plugin, the editor will only look _slightly_ broken.
 Specifically, full wide blocks will not be quite as full as they should
 be, and the tick above the title will be slightly offset to the left. But
 this is cosmetic only, and notably there won't be any horizontal
 scrollbars. So I do think it's safe to patch into trunk right after the
 5.3 final release, if that's how it's usually done.

 For the record, here's the block editor dev note:

 > In <a href="https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/17877">17877</a>
 a change was made to how blocks are laid out in the block editor.
 Previously, every block would come with padding built in, left and right,
 and negative margins to compensate. These margins and paddings have been
 refactored away. This should drastically simplify the CSS necessary to
 style blocks, for block developers and for WordPress themers wanting to
 style the editor.

 > The refactor may cause issues in existing block or editor styles that
 have compensated for the previous margins/paddings. If your block or
 editor style looks off, a likely fix is to remove the styles used to
 compensate.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/48526#comment:1>