[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #48451: Regression: wp_update_attachment_metadata filter now fires very often and without complete metadata

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Nov 4 16:20:29 UTC 2019

#48451: Regression: wp_update_attachment_metadata filter now fires very often and
without complete metadata
-------------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  ianmjones                      |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                   |      Status:  new

Comment (by ianmjones):

 Replying to [comment:9 johnbillion]:
 > If an extension uses the `wp_update_attachment_metadata` filter to
 offload media elsewhere, it should keep track of which files of which
 sizes have been offloaded to avoid duplicate processing, regardless of the
 incremental image size generation changes that have gone into 5.3.

 When I first discovered this change in behaviour a couple of weeks ago, I
 developed a solution for the next version of our plugin that works very
 similar to this. With any luck we'll have it ready for when WP5.3 is
 released.

 Hopefully other plugin developers that relied on the age-old way
 `wp_update_attachment_metadata` has been used have caught this change too
 and have new versions in the works.

 However, the tens, if not hundreds of thousands of sites that are going to
 be using plugins like ours that upgrade to WP5.3 but don't upgrade their
 plugins for whatever reason are going to feel some pain.

 > Recommending for close.

 Makes sense if there is a chance that clearer indicators of the stages of
 upload might be added via the other ticket.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/48451#comment:10>