[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #48493: avatar_url has been removed from post authors on the posts endpoint, even with _embed=1

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Nov 4 14:37:32 UTC 2019

#48493: avatar_url has been removed from post authors on the posts endpoint, even
with _embed=1
 Reporter:  cwiglar       |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  REST API      |    Version:
 Severity:  major         |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 Our self hosted website has been making the following request to our
 wordpress.com hosted CMS:

 https://public-
 api.wordpress.com/wp/v2/sites/examplesite.wordpress.com/posts?_embed=1

 The returned posts include author under the _embedded key, as per the docs
 (https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/using-the-rest-api/linking-and-
 embedding/), but for some reason the authors 'avatar_urls' property is no
 longer present, even though it still exists in the schema
 (https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/reference/users/#schema-
 avatar_urls)

 This broke our site which was displaying avatars on the home page. Please
 can you include author.avatar_urls in the posts response when _embed=1 is
 set, as per the docs and previous versions?