[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #25002: get_post_time() doesn't return correct GMT time if date_default_timezone_set is changed from UTC.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu May 30 07:14:02 UTC 2019

#25002: get_post_time() doesn't return correct GMT time if
date_default_timezone_set is changed from UTC.
 Reporter:  johnregan3                           |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by Rarst):

 * keywords:  needs-patch, needs-testing, bulk-reopened => needs-patch
     needs-testing bulk-reopened

Comment:

 Ok, so this touches on a lot of moving parts. I am generally proofing core
 against sensitivity to default time zone (see #46483 ) so those parts are
 getting slowly washed out.

 I am looking at fixing up mysql2date (related #28992 ), but essentially
 it's garbage in garbage out. It was originally written to work with
 ambiguous timezone-less inputs and it accepts pretty much whatever, so it
 borders on unrealistic to clean it up into something sane.

 For posts my current plan is to introduce a new `get_post_datetime()`
 function, that will instance a proper timezone-aware `DateTime` object
 from a post. Using that will knock out ''a lot'' of issues with how post
 times are read and output.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/25002#comment:7>