[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47321: Show different fatal error message when in Recovery Mode and unable to redirect

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun May 19 16:45:54 UTC 2019

#47321: Show different fatal error message when in Recovery Mode and unable to
redirect
-------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  TimothyBlynJacobs  |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement        |     Status:  new
Component:  Bootstrap/Load     |    Version:  5.2
 Severity:  normal             |   Keywords:  has-patch servehappy
  Focuses:                     |
-------------------------------+----------------------------------
 `WP_Fatal_Error_Handler::handle()` will call
 `WP_Recovery_Mode::handle_error()`. If recovery mode is active, that
 method will try and refresh the page via a redirect to catch multiple
 errors at once. However, if headers have already been sent, it bails out
 and returns true.

 This has the effect of printing the "The site is experiencing technical
 difficulties. Please check your site admin email inbox for instructions."
 when already in Recovery Mode which may be confusing. We should display a
 different message when the error was handled but we were unable to
 redirect.