[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #46733: Site Health: Add ability to ignore issues and place in a ignored issues list hidden like passed tests

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Mar 30 21:07:02 UTC 2019

#46733: Site Health: Add ability to ignore issues and place in a ignored issues
list hidden like passed tests
-----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  garrett-eclipse  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement      |      Status:  new

Comment (by garrett-eclipse):

 Thanks [comment:1 Clorith]:
 > Site owners already have the ability to modify which tests are run for
 scenarios like this using the test filters, so I'm not sure how viable
 this would be.

 > You also run the risk of users, agencies, and so on just hitting
 "ignore" on everything to give an impression of a good setup (yeah, they
 can also filter it, but that's a bit more of an aggressive step than just
 hitting a button).

 I appreciate the feedback @Clorith. I definitely agree the filters are a
 very aggressive step and I would like to avoid them.

 I would feel I'd be doing my client(s) a disservice if I were to
 completely disable tests. With sites evolving, redesigning and changing
 hands, hosts and locations their environments often change drastically.
 With the ignore option I'm proposing when a test failure changes it would
 resurface from it's ignored status. This is a little less aggressive than
 fully disabling the tests.

 For example; Disabling the background updates test because we're managing
 client updates, and then have them move away to an unmanaged setup. If
 they are no longer maintained via .svn but their issue changes to files
 aren't writable they would be oblivious of this issue if the test is
 filtered.

 IMHO using the filter can be a bit dishonest while an ignore still
 provides exposure to the test and indicates a conscious choice was made
 there.

 Another approach over would be have the ignore be a user_meta flag to
 avoid any concern of hiding tests from other users. This cleans up the
 individuals' view which was my original concern of losing 'new' issues
 among all the old tests you've mentally ignored. While still presenting
 all evidence to any other admin/client.

 Let me know what you think,
 Cheers

--