[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #46612: The Next Leap Forward for WordPress: Business Operations Data Application Development (BODAD) Capability

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Mar 22 23:44:45 UTC 2019

#46612: The Next Leap Forward for WordPress: Business Operations Data Application
Development (BODAD) Capability
-----------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  dmillerweb       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature request  |      Status:  closed

Comment (by mdwolinski):

 @dmillerweb wanted to give you a little bit more feedback directly related
 to your idea.  The Google document can use a good rewrite that would help
 you and any eventual developer get a clearer picture of what your goal is.

 I'd recommend removing all the fluff from the document.  The fluff being
 anything that's not related to a more technical view of what you're
 proposing. Telling me that this idea is the best thing since peanut butter
 met jelly doesn't give me any idea about what the benefit of your proposal
 is to me.  Save all of that marketing pitch until you have a product that
 you can sell (whether for money or not).

 Between my reading of the document and your comments, I feel like you
 understand more of what you want that's not clearly shown in the write up.
 Nothing wrong with that.  Everyone writes things down thinking other
 people just know things they don't.

 Start out with defining what the problem is.  You can certainly pull from
 your current experience.  For example, Business Operations Data
 Application allows the user to create a distinct collection of fields from
 multiple, related DBs and easily create and edit new rows of data.

 Define what is already out there that may provide, albeit not via
 WordPress, that provides the kind of solutions your looking to build.
 Could be Microsoft Access, could be Business Objects, etc.  Then anyone
 you're working with now has a visual of functionality you believe they
 need.  Any product you list is going to have positives and negatives, so
 make sure to include that info about what functionality you think is
 missing.

 In my corporate world, when we are approached with a request to build
 something, the first thing we do is give them an Excel document and say,
 "Write out your user stories."

 This document makes them think about the district functionality of their
 request which is broken into Epics.  So, for example, one Epic could be
 **Welcome/Navigation Pages**, another **Locate Manager Funds Page**.  Then
 each Epic is broken down into distinct actions on that page, like **As the
 user, I want to be able to select the manager funds page so I can be
 direct to the correct page**.

 You may also benefit from creating some Balsamiq mockups as well, visuals
 help so much in explaining things.

 And don't be discouraged by others and my comments. I'm currently building
 a new SaaS service which I have a clear picture of what it's going to do
 and how it's going to benefit people.  I tried to explain it to a co-
 worker and it took 20 minutes of explaining what I thought was a *simple*
 concept.  I went back to my developer and admitted I need to work on my
 elevator pitch.

 Feel free to ask any questions you want, I'm on the WP Slack at **Mark W**
 Same profile image I have here.

 Good luck!

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/46612#comment:9>