[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #46490: Clarify documentation that page-templates folder is not necessary for theme templates

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Mar 14 15:39:59 UTC 2019

#46490: Clarify documentation that page-templates folder is not necessary for theme
templates
 Reporter:  skorasaurus   |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Themes        |    Version:
 Severity:  minor         |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  docs          |
 Hi,

 While browsing [https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/template-files-
 section/page-template-files/#file-organization-of-page-templates Page
 Templates in the Theme Handbook] to refresh myself on recommend theme
 structures and page templates; I became a little confused and suggest some
 clarification for users.

 [https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/template-files-section/page-
 template-files/#file-organization-of-page-templates The File Organization
 of Page templates] section initially confused me because it states
 ''"WordPress recognizes the subfolder page-templates."'' This is
 misleading and can give readers the impression that WordPress would only
 recognize that specific folder name.

 [https://nacin.com/2012/03/29/page-templates-in-subdirectories-new-in-
 wordpress-3-4/ As of WordPress 3.4, any subdirectory folder] can be used
 (as far as I know).

 I suggest rephrasing it something like to be can be placed in any
 subdirectory but suggest a folder like page-templates or templates. You
 cannot use a 2nd-level subdirectory (e.g. pages/templates/).