[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #46441: [WordPress - 5.1] Can't get categories after publishing the post first time on using "transition_post_status" action

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Mar 8 07:06:52 UTC 2019

#46441: [WordPress - 5.1] Can't get categories after publishing the post first time
on using "transition_post_status"  action
 Reporter:  malayladu     |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  REST API      |    Version:  5.1
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:  needs-patch
  Focuses:                |
 When we publish the Post for the first time without doing "Save draft"  at
 that time we are not getting post categories in the function which is bind
 to "transition_post_status" status hook.

 We are using "get_the_category" method to get the categories. But, every
 time it returns default category.

 It works when we do "Save draft" and then "Publish" it.

 I suspect it's related to WP_REST_Posts_Controller where "wp_update_post"
 method is called and we are not passing "selected categories" into data
 and in "wp_update_post" it overwrites post categories with default
 category if it's not set.