[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44683: Export and Erase personal data - emails sent to wrong address if username is an email address which is different from the actual email address

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Mar 2 01:53:56 UTC 2019

#44683: Export and Erase personal data - emails sent to wrong address if username
is an email address which is different from the actual email address
------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  subrataemfluence  |       Owner:  garrett-eclipse
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  reviewing
Changes (by garrett-eclipse):

 * keywords:  2nd-opinion needs-unit-tests =>
 * owner:  desrosj => garrett-eclipse
 * status:  assigned => reviewing

Comment:

 Thanks @subrataemfluence

 This is related to #44347 and I feel needs to be addressed there. I was
 able to reproduce the issue though but I feel it makes more sense to
 introduce rigid controls over emails as usernames than it does to attempt
 to anticipate it within the tools.

 It's going to get confusing and potentially leak data to the wrong user
 when usernames are emails but are of other users.
 One thing I found potentially concerning was with registration open I was
 able to signup a user using my admin email as their username.

 I agree with @knutsp that usernames should prohibit the user of email
 addresses. or at worst limit the username to be an exact match of their
 email. I'm posting a note to the other ticket and leaving this open for
 the time being in case those changes require anything to be done to the
 Privacy tools.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44683#comment:8>