[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47535: Cannot edit a tag if it exists with same value as a category and vice versa + cannot publish post if an assigned tag exists with same value as a category and vice versa (context: multisite, table sitecategories, global_terms_enabled on)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jun 14 00:06:43 UTC 2019

#47535: Cannot edit a tag if it exists with same value as a category and vice versa
+ cannot publish post if an assigned tag exists with same value as a
category and vice versa (context: multisite, table sitecategories,
global_terms_enabled on)
---------------------------+----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  digitwebtools  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)   |      Status:  new
Changes (by SergeyBiryukov):

 * focuses:   => administration, multisite
 * component:  General => Taxonomy

Old description:

> Dear WordPress experts,
>
> We are experiencing a weird behavior preventing to edit tags / categories
> and publishing / updating posts. We believe it occurs when
> ''global_terms_enabled'' is ''on'' and some tags and categories share the
> same value.
>
> Our environment:
> * WordPress Multisite 5.1.1 (actually, we've been using it and upgrading
> it for years and years)
> * Table ''sitecategories'' defined
> * In table ''sitemeta'', ''global_terms_enabled'' is set to ''1''
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> * Create a new category "My category" THEN
> * Create a new tag "My tag" THEN
> * Create a new category with the same name of an existing tag, let's say
> "My tag" THEN
> * Create a new tag with the same name of an existing category, let's say
> "My category"
>
> Now it will break if you do the following:
> * Edit the category "My tag" with the name of an existing tag, you'll get
> "You need a higher level of permission. Sorry, you are not allowed to
> edit this item."
> * Edit the tag "My category" with the name of an existing category,
> you'll get "You need a higher level of permission. Sorry, you are not
> allowed to edit this item."
> * Create / edit a content and assign the category "My tag" (with the name
> of an existing tag) or assign the tag "My category" (with the name of an
> existing category) and you'll get a 403 error with the response
> {{{
> {"code":"rest_cannot_assign_term","message":"Sorry, you are not allowed
> to assign the provided terms.","data":{"status":403}}
> }}}
>
> May be related to https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/46297
>
> Thank you.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Alexandre - DIGIT WEBTOOLS

New description:

[...]

 * Edit the tag "My category" with the name of an existing category, you'll
 get "You need a higher level of permission. Sorry, you are not allowed to
 edit this item."
 * Create / edit a content and assign the category "My tag" (with the name
 of an existing tag) or assign the tag "My category" (with the name of an
 existing category) and you'll get a 403 error with the response
 {{{
 {"code":"rest_cannot_assign_term","message":"Sorry, you are not allowed to
 assign the provided terms.","data":{"status":403}}
 }}}

 May be related to #46297

 Thank you.

 Best regards.