[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47531: Handling WP embed (native) Audioplayer's Volume Slider with keyboard defective

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jun 12 12:05:25 UTC 2019

#47531: Handling WP embed (native) Audioplayer's Volume Slider with keyboard
defective
 Reporter:  Juhan108      |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Media         |    Version:  5.2.1
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 As I underestand, handling audioplayers with Tab/Arrows/Enter should be
 universal with all  browsers. I have built a test-webpage from my main web
 page, consisting some audio-books for children. There are several single
 WP embed (native) players:   https://midripai.ee/s3/pai/pai-kuulata-
 yksiti-wpn/.
  Moving with Tab-key onto volume slider, it should be increasing volume by
 Right Arrow, and decrease by Left Arrow (at least Screenreader Orca in
 Linux tells to do so). Instead of that, the Down Arrow decreases volume,
 and ''the Up Arrow does nothing''.
 Of course, the volume can be handled by Up/Down arrow, being either on
 Time Slider; or on Mute Button (it seems not to depend of web browser: at
 least Chrome and Firefox do work similarly.) Yet bringing volume down,
 being on Volume Slider by Down Arrow  could be annoying for visually
 impaired, as one needs to move back onto Mute Button or Time Slider of the
 same player to increase volume again. Being on the Play/Pause button, the
 Down Arrow also decreases volume; and Up Arrow does nothing.
 The same problem occurs also with WP embed (native) Playlist Player.

 Tested: Win7-64 bit: Both Chrome (74; 75.0.3770.80 = the latest) and
 Firefox (67.02); and
 Linux Mint Mate 18.3 64 bit: Chromium 73.0.3683.86 and Firefox (67.0)
 Laptops: Fujitsu E8420 and Lenovo w500 internal keyboards and also
 external ps2 and USB-keyboard.
 Both with Blocks and blocks switched off (with plugin Classic editor); and
 also disabled all plugins for test). I did not use special Audio-blocks
 though.