[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47120: Media modals: Upload errors and field information are not associated with their control

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jun 6 14:21:08 UTC 2019

#47120: Media modals: Upload errors and field information are not associated with
their control
-----------------------------+--------------------------------
 Reporter:  afercia          |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  new

Comment (by afercia):

 @anevins thanks for the ping.

 For the announcement, I think it's OK to use role=alert or, better,
 `wp.a11y.speak()` with the `assertive` parameter, which is equivalent to
 an alert.

 For the focus part, I think the remediation actually says the preferred
 solution would be bringing the error message "in view" close to the
 "Select Files" button. Re-reading:

 > Consider moving focus to either the error container or the error
 container close button when the error appears. This will ensure that
 Braille-only and screen magnification users are alerted that an error has
 occurred.

 > Normally, moving focus to errors like this is not advised, however
 currently the error and the informative text are visually far away from
 the "Select Files" button, and neither Braille nor screen magnification
 software announce status messages.

 > A better solution is to change the design to bring the error visually
 directly under the "Select Files" button (while still also using a live
 region on the error message).

 Ideally, I'd recommend to change the design. Alternatively, move focus but
 I wouldn't move it to the alert or to a DIV. An example can be seen here:
 https://www.tenon-ui.info/forms-full-demo
 - submit the form leaving all fields empty
 - focus is moved to the top, to a h2 heading with meaningful text

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47120#comment:5>