[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47806: The get_term_link returns a URL but it's @return and name lead you to believe it's returning an HTML link

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jul 30 23:06:04 UTC 2019

#47806: The get_term_link returns a URL but it's @return and name lead you to
believe it's returning an HTML link
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  garrett-eclipse  |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)     |     Status:  new
Component:  Taxonomy         |    Version:  2.5
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                   |
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Hello,

 I went to use the `get_term_link` function after reading the
 [https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/get_term_link/
 documentation] and was confused by it returning a URL and not an HTML link
 as it was indicated. The function name also leads you to believe it'll be
 a link returned and not a URL.
 {{{#!php
 <?php
 /**
  * Generate a permalink for a taxonomy term archive.
  *
  * @since 2.5.0
  *
  * @global WP_Rewrite $wp_rewrite
  *
  * @param object|int|string $term     The term object, ID, or slug whose
 link will be retrieved.
  * @param string            $taxonomy Optional. Taxonomy. Default empty.
  * @return string|WP_Error HTML link to taxonomy term archive on success,
 WP_Error if term does not exist.
  */
 function get_term_link( $term, $taxonomy = '' ) {
 }}}

 I doubt renaming the function is viable due to back-compat but it would be
 nice at least to correct the php docblock to indicate the return is a URL
 and not an  HTML Link.

 Thanks