[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47784: Customizer: When updating menu item text boxes the preview pane refreshes causing a pause in typing

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jul 26 23:11:08 UTC 2019

#47784: Customizer: When updating menu item text boxes the preview pane refreshes
causing a pause in typing
-----------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  majemedia                    |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement                  |     Status:  new
Component:  Customize                    |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  minor                        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui, javascript, performance  |
-----------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Please note that this does NOT apply when editing menus from Appearance ->
 Menus.

 Steps:

 1. Edit a menu item's navigation label or title within customizer
 2. Try to type a long sentence

 Frustration results from:

 1. While trying to type the preview pane refreshes multiple times
 resulting in pauses during typing.

 Ideas to fix:

 - Increase the amount of time between preview refreshes when typing
 - Wait for a pause in typing of a certain length (I think this might head
 into accessibility territory so I'm not going to suggest a wait-time)
 - (I don't like this one but here it is): Only refresh the preview pane on
 unfocus event

 I marked as performance as well because this causes a LOT of refreshes
 which may or may not affect server load.