[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #46065: Add possibility to set a higher recommended php version for the "Update PHP notice"

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jan 22 16:00:08 UTC 2019

#46065: Add possibility to set a higher recommended php version for the "Update PHP
notice"
 Reporter:  j-falk       |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  General      |    Version:
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:
  Focuses:               |
 The "Update PHP core notice" was introduced by #41191 (ticket), refined by
 #45686 (ticket) and the trigger to show the notice is managed by a check
 to a centralized WordPress api call which responds with if the current
 site has a insecure/outdated version of PHP.

 This means that it is easy to centrally raise the minimum versions for a
 site to be considered unsecure or outdated.

 However one addition to this that would be great is if it would be
 possible for a host to set a different and higher minimum than what is set
 centrally.

 This was proposed previously at https://make.wordpress.org/core/2019/01/14
 /php-site-health-mechanisms-in-5-1/#comment-35240 and discussed briefly
 https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C3D6T7F8Q/p1547666779187700.

 Eg at the managed WP host Seravo we now have our own admin notice about
 upgrading a site using a PHP version below 7.0, which is implemented
 through a must-use plugin we install on all sites. It would be great if
 we, and other hosts, would have the possibility to instead do this by
 using the PHP update notice now in core.

 The clear benefit of this would be to help hosts that are comfortable
 guiding their clients to update their PHP versions quicker than what
 WordPress centrally does.