[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #45731: Twenty Nineteen: Implement a less aggressive approach for alternate approach for non-latin font fallbacks.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jan 17 03:10:18 UTC 2019

#45731: Twenty Nineteen: Implement a less aggressive approach for alternate
approach for non-latin font fallbacks.
-------------------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  kjellr                   |       Owner:  laurelfulford
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by laurelfulford):

 Thanks for this patch, @kjellr!

 As mentioned, this updated approach seems to fix the dashicons issue
 (yay!). However, I'm noticing some issues with the selectors that have
 multiple languages.

 The ones applied to one language (`:lang(zh-TW)`) switch to the correct
 font when I switch the language of the site under Settings. But the ones
 with multiples (`:lang(ar,ary,azb,ckb,fa-IR,haz,ps)`) don't seem to apply
 the styles for me.

 I could recreate this outside of the theme -- here's a really basic
 Codepen that shows the issue:

 https://codepen.io/laurelfulford/pen/oJOVZj

 If you remove the `azb` from the last selector in the CSS, the `ar`
 paragraph will apply the green colour.

 I'm not super familiar with `:lang()`, but I couldn't find any examples
 online where it's being used with more than one language -- I think this
 may need to be reworked to separate out the two grouped languages
 (`ar,ary,azb,ckb,fa-IR,haz,ps` and `be,bg-BG,kk,mk-MK,mn,ru-RU,sah,sr-RS
 ,tt-RU,uk`).

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/45731#comment:5>